Tuesday

July 6, 1875


[Letterhead: Goupil Paris]

Paris, 6 July 1875

My dear Theo,

Thanks for writing, yes, old boy, I thought so. You must write and tell me sometime how your English is, have you done anything about it? If not, it’s not such a great disaster.
 
 I’ve rented a small room in Montmartre which you’d like; it’s small, but overlooks a little garden full of ivy and Virginia creeper.
 
 I want to tell you which prints I have on the wall.


Ruisdael The bush
ditto Bleaching fields
Rembrandt Reading the Bible (a large, old Dutch room, (in the evening, a candle on the table) in which a young mother sits beside her child’s cradle reading the Bible; an old woman listens, it’s something that recalls: Verily I say unto you, ‘for where 2 or 3 are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them’, it’s an old copper engraving, as large as ‘The bush’, superb).
P. de Champaigne Portrait of a lady


Corot Evening
ditto ditto
Bodmer Fontainebleau
Bonington A road
Troyon Morning
Jules Dupré Evening (resting place)
Maris Washerwoman
ditto A baptism
Millet The four times of the day
(woodcuts, 4 prints)
Van der Maaten Funeral in the cornfield
Daubigny Dawn (cock crowing)
Charlet Hospitality. Farmhouse surrounded by fir trees, winter scene with snow. A peasant and a soldier before a door.
Ed. Frère Seamstresses
ditto A cooper


Well, old boy, keep well, you know it, longsuffering and meek, as much as possible. Let us remain good friends.
 
Adieu

Vincent






No comments: